|The mission of Grace Hill Settlement House is to provide opportunities for individuals, families, and communities to become stronger, healthier, and more self-reliant. Founded in 1903 with roots in the Settlement House tradition, Grace Hill believes that every child deserves an excellent, enriching education; that every family deserves the opportunity to become self-reliant; and every community deserves an opportunity to thrive. A leader among non-profits in St. Louis, Grace Hill operates three early childhood education centers and two community centers in north and south St. Louis City, serving more than 3,600 individuals and families each year.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Volunteer Recruitment Specialist will work closely with the Associate Vice President, Administration and Human Resources to develop and execute a volunteer recruitment plan targeted at increasing the participation of volunteers aged 50 and older. This individual will develop appropriate volunteer training, evaluate the success of current and future volunteer programs, and match volunteers with opportunities at Grace Hill based on their skills and experience.
This position is made possible through a grant from the Alliance for Strong Families and Communities in partnership with the encore.org. Requirements of the grant include hiring a Volunteer Recruitment Specialist aged 50+ years, travel to the Generations United Global Intergenerational Conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in June 2017, and significant experience in business, human resources, and/or non-profit organizational leadership. This position is contingent on annual renewal of grant funding.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Minimum Education Requirements: Requires Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance/Accounting, Human Resources Management, Public Health, Social Work, Public Administration or related field OR equivalent experience.
Minimum Experience Requirements: Requires twenty plus (20+) years’ experience in business, human resources, marketing, organizational leadership, or IT, with increasing responsibility in leadership and management.
Skills and Abilities: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Commitment to providing the highest quality services to low-income individuals and families and to strengthening neighborhoods through community organization.
- Sensitivity to diverse population groups, including individuals with disability and individuals from a variety of cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including preparation of meaningful narrative reports and effective presentation skills.
- Good analytical skills, demonstrated creativity, and excellent customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated ability to work on teams and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong computer skills including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and e-mail software. Willingness to learn new database systems, including Raiser’s Edge Donor Software and Efforts-to-Outcomes data tracking software.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, a detail-oriented mindset, and the willingness to collaborate with individuals from multiple departments at Grace Hill.
- Ability to manage volunteers and volunteer projects, including light home renovation; classroom activities such as reading, preparing copies, and cleaning; gardening; photography; class field trips; and other volunteer projects.
- Ability to motivate staff, board members and consumers.
Residency and Transportation Requirement:
- Preference given to residents of a Grace Hill service area.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and automobile with insurance coverage as required by the State of Missouri.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: None Required
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Identify current programs within Grace Hill that do not effectively utilize volunteers aged 50+ via a detailed assessment. Report assessment results to funders and donors.
- Create a volunteer recruitment program targeted to effectively recruit and retain a volunteer community of individuals aged 50+.
- Create and present volunteer training modules, including a strong onboarding program for new volunteers, targeted at reaching adults aged 50+.
- Maintain open lines of communication with volunteers, staff, and funders.
- Collaborate with marketing and public relations staff to create volunteer recruitment flyers, social media posts, and other marketing efforts.
- Provide leadership to integrate volunteers throughout existing programs across Grace Hill Settlement House.
- Participate in the assessment of volunteer efforts at the end of the grant term – this includes designing reports, collecting information, and presenting results to staff, community members, and funders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Marginal Functions: Attend local, regional, and national conferences to either present Grace Hill’s programs or obtain helpful information for agency and programs/neighbors upon request.
APPLY by sending resume and cover letter to:
Grace Hill Settlement House
Human Resources Department
2600 Hadley Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63106
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SERVICES PROVIDED ON A NON-DISCRIMINATORY BASIS
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Physical activities: Standing, walking, sitting, talking, and hearing
- Visual: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and 20 feet or more.
- Physical demands: Occasionally lifting of 5-25 lbs. by hand.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Normal office conditions. May work at more than one Grace Hill site as requested; site assignments may be changed periodically.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
Telephone, copier, fax, personal computer/terminal, common application software
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. “Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There are different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
All activities, demands, conditions and requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk which denotes linkage only to marginal function(s).
Transportation Requirement: Must possess a valid driver’s license and automobile with insurance coverage as required by the State of Missouri.
License(s)/Certification(s) Required: None Required